The PSUPA Flatwater Level 2 Certification Expands on the skills and techniques you learned and have practised from Flat Water 1, to be able to teach both a 1- and 2-hour basic SUP class confidently and safely, along with being able to issue “Fundamentals” Certifications to your students. The curriculum emphasizes water safety, leadership, and teaching risk management and rescue procedures. You also have the option to learn the basics of running a SUP business.
Certification is awarded upon completing the course. This includes passing all tests and achieving a satisfactory evaluation of your teaching, leadership skills and attention to safety. You will receive a PSUPA Certified Instructors Manual that covers everything covered in the course and more. This certification is a prerequisite for PSUPA Instructor Trainer Certification.
Course Duration: Typically 1 day.
Minimum Age of Participants: 18 years old.
Teacher-to-Student Ratio: 1:6, 2:10 or 3:15.
Learn how to teach a 1- and 2-hour basic SUP class, learn water safety and leadership.
Optional basic SUP business skills. See curriculum below for more details.
Certification Valid for 4 Years: PSUPA certified instructors are required to take a one-day refresher course in their certification every four years to keep their certification valid.
Keeping Certifications Active: Active Annual PSUPA Membership and Current hands-on First Aid / CPR certification is required to keep certification active.
- Have current hands-on (i.e., not Internet-based) First Aid/CPR certification or Wilderness First Aid or Lifeguard Training certification or the equivalent for your location.
- Be in good overall physical shape, be able to swim 200 yards and be able to lift and carry all equipment.
- Be able to launch and land a board safely, as well as safely fall from and remount a board.
- Be comfortable walking on a SUP board and comfortable balancing in various water conditions.
- Know basic SUP paddling techniques and be able to maintain directional control of a board, including various strokes for turning and paddling straight.
- Be able to paddle a minimum of 3-5 miles in varied conditions – for example, flatwater and bumpy.
- Have at least basic knowledge of paddling equipment, SUP terms and history of the sport.
- Have positive interpersonal skills.
- Hold current PSUPA membership.
- Sign liability form.
This is not a course for beginners.
Note: There are no guarantees that you will pass. Students who do not adequately demonstrate the skills and have a poor overall evaluation, will not receive a certificate.
If you are not an experienced Flat Water 1 Instructor or don’t yet meet the requirements for this certification, please consider taking some basic and advanced SUP classes before pursuing this certification.
Tests are Pass/Fail with Passing grade at 80% or better.
- Previously completed Flat Water1 certification
- Possess Business License (or proof of professional role in industry) , Insurance, CPR/first aid
- Prepare/Conduct a couple of 5-10 minute mini classes (instructor assigned) to cover various topics.
- Be able to perform various turns/stroke proficiently on demand (Cross Bow, Pivot turn both stationary and moving, Sculling, Sweeps)
- Be able paddle at least 3 miles
- Paddle in a straight line
- Demonstrate ability to comfortably walk on the board
- Perform a flip rescue and ¼ mile tow
- Pass online test